Korean dramas have become a global phenomenon, and one actress who has significantly contributed to the industry’s success is the talented Kim Yoo Jung. Known for her exceptional acting skills and charming screen presence, Kim Yoo Jung has graced audiences with a variety of memorable roles. In this blog post, we’ll explore the top 10 Korean dramas featuring the versatile actress, each offering a unique storyline and showcasing her undeniable talent.
Genres: Romance, Drama, Action, Comedy, Romantic comedy, Fantasy
The storyline revolves around a contractual marriage involving Do Do-hee (played by Kim Yoo-jung), a mischievous heiress from a conglomerate, and Jeong Gu-won (portrayed by Song Kang), a demon experiencing a temporary loss of powers. This brief period of powerlessness brings them transient joy, yet it ultimately ushers in a series of unfortunate events leading to a challenging situation.
Moon Embracing the Sun (2012)
- Genre: Historical, Romance, Fantasy
- Synopsis: Kim Yoo Jung takes on the role of the young noble lady Yeon Woo in this captivating historical drama set in the Joseon era. Her poignant portrayal adds depth to the intricate plot, making it a must-watch for fans of historical romance.
May Queen (2012)
After her remarkable performance in “Moon Embracing The Sun,” Yoo Jung once again garnered widespread attention when she took on a role in the romantic melodrama “May Queen” in the same year. The storyline intricately wove together the lives of characters within Korea’s shipbuilding industry during the nation’s modernization period. In a parallel to her previous role in the historical drama, Yoo Jung portrayed the younger version of Hae Joo (played by Han Ji Hye), the central character embroiled in the betrayals and power dynamics driving the narrative. Her acting received acclaim for flawlessly capturing the tragic essence of the storyline and portraying the youthful love between the main characters. Notably, she was honored with the title of Best Young Actress at the 1st K-Drama Star Awards for her compelling role in the series.
Love in the Moonlight (2016)
- Genre: Historical, Romance, Comedy
- Synopsis: In another Joseon-era drama, Kim Yoo Jung shines as Hong Ra On, a girl who disguises herself as a man and enters the royal palace. The drama explores themes of love, politics, and self-discovery, showcasing Kim Yoo Jung’s versatility.
Clean with Passion for Now (2018-2019)
- Genre: Romance, Comedy
- Synopsis: This modern romantic comedy features Kim Yoo Jung as a cheerful young woman working at a cleaning company. Her vibrant performance adds charm to the storyline, creating a delightful and heartwarming series.
Backstreet Rookie (2020)
- Genre: Romantic Comedy
- Synopsis: Kim Yoo Jung takes on the role of a spunky part-timer in a convenience store in this lighthearted romantic comedy. The drama explores the ups and downs of everyday life and the unexpected romance that develops in a seemingly ordinary setting.
Angry Mom (2015)
- Genre: Comedy, Drama
- Synopsis: While not the main lead, Kim Yoo Jung’s role in “Angry Mom” is significant. The drama revolves around a mother who returns to high school to protect her daughter, and Kim Yoo Jung’s performance adds emotional weight to the storyline.
Secret Door (2014)
- Genre: Historical, Political, Thriller
- Synopsis: Kim Yoo Jung appears in this historical thriller as the younger version of the female lead. The drama delves into political intrigue and power struggles in the Joseon era.
Golden Rainbow (2013-2014)
- Genre: Family, Romance, Drama
- Synopsis: Kim Yoo Jung takes on the role of a young girl in this family drama that explores the connections and challenges faced by a group of siblings separated in their childhood.
Grudge: The Revolt of Gumiho (2010)
- Genre: Historical, Fantasy, Romance
- Synopsis: In one of her earlier roles, Kim Yoo Jung portrays the younger version of the female lead in this fantasy drama centered around the mythical Gumiho (nine-tailed fox).
Kim Yoo Jung’s impressive filmography showcases her ability to seamlessly transition between historical, modern, and fantasy genres. Whether she’s portraying a historical figure, a modern-day romantic lead, or a character in a fantasy world, Kim Yoo Jung’s performances are marked by authenticity and emotional resonance. As you embark on your Korean drama journey, be sure to add these Kim Yoo Jung dramas to your watchlist.